Genghis Khan united many nomadic tribes under Mongol empire and attacked many empires ruthlessly. The Mongol invasions are known for their large scale massacres of civilian population. It is estimated that Genghis Khan and his Mongol empire had killed more than 40 million people during their era. No other empire or a person including Hitler could hold candle to the massacre that Genghis Khan has done. The Mongolian empire occupied most of the China to Eastern Europe by the end of Genghis Khan’s era.
The notorious killing:
After conquering an empire, Genghis Khan generally killed the locals. Sometimes he killed only the important officials and left the local population, preserving the local culture and tradition. Women were kidnapped and raped. Historians across the world have a general negative perception about Genghis Khan and the Mongol empire because of the large scale human slaughter and the destruction they have brought. There are mixed perception and positive perception in some countries like Mongolia and parts of China.
Iranian empire is one of the violently attacked empires by Genghis Khan. Three fourth of the Iranian population was wiped off during the Mongolian era. It took many hundred years for Iran to reach the pre-Mongolian population in their area.
8% of Men in Asia are descendants of Genghis Khan:
Scientific researches claim that 8% of the males in Asia have a common Y-chromosomal lineage which means they are descendants of Genghis Khan.
Genghis Khan Facts:
- Genghis Khan was also called as Chingis Khan and Chinggis khan
- Though the exact cause of Genghis Khan’s death is unknown there are multiple theories surrounding his death. One theory goes like this: Tangut empire was conquered and the Tangut princess was taken after the war. The Tangut princess had a pair of pliers inside her vagina that hurt Chinggis Khan.
- Even though Genghis Khan is generally perceived to be a notorious mass murderer, some historians give him credit for the religious tolerance he had towards other religions and promoting trade between middle east, Asia and Europe.
- In Turkey, Genghis Khan is looked as a great military leader and many male children carry his name in their names.
- In 1962, a monument was constructed in the birthplace of Genghis Khan to commemorate his 800th birthday which was highly condemned by Soviet Union.
- In Mongolia, there is even an airport named Chinggis Khan
Genghis Khan Quotes:
The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters
Genghis Khan Myths:
Contrary to the popular myth, Genghis khan did not kill all of the 40 million people; they were killed throughout the Mongol empire after his death
Genghis Khan in today’s Mongolia:
In Mongolia, Genghis Khan is regarded as the “father of Mongols” and Chinggis Khan is a household name in Mongolia. Genghis Khan’s name is found in Commodities, Liquor products, Mongolian currency, streets, and buildings. Genghis Khan created the first Mongolian script and created the first written Mongolian law. The Mongolians see Chinggis Khan as a prominent leader and the father of Mongol empire which is the basis for today’s Mongolia.